Friday, November 18, 2011

The Most Miraculous Communication Known to Mankind

Do you know what "it" is? 


In just a few seconds every human being processes more data through his/her individual learning centers (all senses and feelings) then can be depicted in thousands of written words. Describing the millions of colors including the various shades of light, the depth and distance of the objects around me and their ever changing shadows, the subtle wind on my face, how tight my shoes are, the hum of the machines that I tuned out, my heart beating, my brain constantly checking and adjusting all body functions, the itch in my ear, I'm going to have to pee soon, my skin is dry, I'm feeling curious or is it adventurous, my breath is warm and consistent. Hundreds of layers of sounds fall in and out of the range of my hearing. I don't know why, but I think I need to call John, I'm hungry, I laugh with your laugh and don't know why, I feel a chill and the goosebumps confirm it as they rise on my skin, the night sky inspires me, the adrenaline taste is still in my mouth, I needed to say that, I hear you, I feel what you are saying is true, thank you and peace distills on my soul, until the phone rings and jolts me away... 


Your and my incredible soul processes more information every moment than we can consciously realize. Self awareness is too often dulled due to haste, waste and an increase in distractions. With that dulling comes a smothering of our innate and childlike sense of wonder and awe. This is a vital gift and quality that makes our lives awesome! 


When was the last time you tasted your food? I mean really intentionally paid attention to the flavors and textures of what you ate with each reasonably sized bite, instead of bite swallow, bite swallow... Did you look intently and absolutely into his eyes while you spoke? Did you watch his face and mouth to see how he felt? Or read his posture and gestures just for fun? Squat down and look at the world from a small child's perspective as you go about your day. Drive home a new way and see what you think and feel. When was the last time you took your shoes off and walked in the grass, then sat down, looked at the grass closely and just stopped to watch it grow? Or walked on the beach or stopped to stand still in the shallow waves as they slowly buried the tops of your feet with each massaging pass? Did you see the sky today - day or night? But did you really see it? The birds playing, the jet stream dissolving, the light reflecting off the clock? Where did the clouds move, or did you see the branches sway as the light danced with the leaves to music of the wind? 


We are born to learn. Our bodies and souls are recognizably divine and capable of eventual feats and miracles beyond our wildest dreams. If you don't believe me, test living a life of attention and thoroughness of work (pay attention to the details and finish with style) for 30 days every day, all day as often as you can.


We cannot appreciate what we do not recognize. God said, In no way can you offend me more than to not recognize my hand in all things*.  What is right in front of you that you are missing? 


Our Life's compass is how we feel. I'm referring to feelings deeper than an emotional purchase. It's choosing to act with courage and without regret or remorse. It includes confidence from the inside of our self that is enviable, desirable, wanted from the depths of our toes to the top of our souls. It's doing knowing that "I am in alignment with the universe and it's plan for me right now". It's the second greatest feeling during and after the perfect golf shot, the right words that came out and surprised not only you, but me, it's being in "the zone" so thoroughly that when it stops it's like a bubble popped and I stepped out of a dream like state back into a more bland reality. 


We are born to do GREAT things! The simplicity of discovering the solutions and making many decisions (not the difficulty of actually doing them) often comes back to how we feel. I hear, "In data we trust". And signs and wonders are nice. They have a place, but in the long run may end up proving nothing. Instead we see only one facet of a multifaceted gem.


Our heart is our guide to living. In business it's called "instinct", others call it my "sixth sense", mom's may say it's "radar", "a still small voice", "our link to the Holy Ghost", the scriptures, "the Light of Christ", in Pinocchio it's personified as "Jiminy Cricket" - his frequent companion and "conscience".


We may study and work for years to invoke, provoke and seek a change in our relations or behavior. Haltingly and almost randomly we may feel a sense of progress and hopelessness - sometimes at the same time. Then something unexpected is heard/felt and our burdens get lifted and our hearts change and we can begin to do what was previously difficult, if not seemingly impossible to do before. We feel something when God's Spirit touches our spirit that is non-duplicable, assuredly impossible to imitate. 


I believe in these God given moments we have a chance to instantly improve because we are reminded of who we are and where we come from. You are Divine. We are children of God. 


So often media seems designed to want to numb us and replace natural feelings with pre-recorded and virtual realities. One epitome being the looped fake fireplace showing on our tv. 


Being a thrill seeker most of my life, I lived on fewer emotions and more of seeking the next challenge and thrill. I now identify a full range of emotions - including a growing feeling of kindness and a genuine appreciation, love and respect for others and the life around me, puts living my life into perspective - that media can't teach or replace. I can still take the shot, but in these moments when I'm in tune and in sync, I'm living. Really living. And I like it.


Let's choose to begin being more in tune today, right here, right now.... the carpet is soft and warm under my sore feet - maybe even invigorating. The hard and noisy keys under my fingers will soon grow cool again in my absence.


Bryan Packham

(*scripture: http://lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/59.21?lang=eng#20)
(want to feel something good, click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOpOhlGiRTM)


No comments:

Post a Comment